A Close Call

Well folks…had a bit of a scare today and learned a very valuable lesson.  Everyone should have Carbon Monoxide Detectors in their House!

 

I took care of Jack & Kate last night and did not get home until about 1:15 a.m.  I immediately went to bed and got awoken around 6 a.m. to very loud beeping alarm. I shot out of bed and ran to the hallway thinking it was the fire alarm. I am pushing and beating on the fire alarm and the beeping won’t stop. I am very disoriented and groggy, but I finally realize the beeping is coming from a different location in the house.  It is my Carbon Monoxide detector in the front room.  I rip it from the wall to make it shut up, read the back which says, “If 4 Beeps, you have a Carbon Monoxide Leak.”  Mistake: I was tired, thought I had 4 beeps but was too groggy to really think straight so I hit reset, plugged it into an outlet in a different room.  Crawled back in bed and thought, if it goes off again, I will call the fire department.  About 30 minutes later a 2nd Carbon Monoxide detector in the basement goes off.  I shoot out of bed and think, “Uh Oh!”   So I call my brother first and ask, “Rob, if my Carbon Monoxide detectors are going off do I just call the fire department or call 911?  Should I be worried?”  He advised me to call the fire department. He warned me that some departments come lights and sirens and bring everybody (overreact as he said.)  But he did say it was serious and asked me a few medical questions as well. J

 

The Rescue Truck and Ambulance showed up within 5 minutes.  It was enough commotion to have my neighbors asking, “What’s going on?”  The Fire Department was able to find a high level of CO in the house and immediately evacuated Carson & I.  (They did ask if Carson was acting strange lately…I said no more than normal!)  So I spent nearly an hour and half outside in the freezing cold while they determined where the lead was coming from (my furnace) and cleared out the house.  They then called the Paramedics so I could get medically check out.   

 

You can’t see or smell carbon monoxide, but at high levels it can kill a person in minutes.  What I wanted to tell everyone today is that the CO Detectors saved my life.  So, PLEASE, make sure you have them in your home. The Fire Department recommended one called Nighthawke.  Be sure you get one that has battery backup so it still works if you lose electricity.  The NightHawke have some detectors that provide a digital reading of the CO level in your home.

 

 

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Life in general. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to A Close Call

  1. Irma says:

    Going to Home Depot after work…Nighthawk it is!! Glad you and Carson are ok!

  2. Abby says:

    JENN! That is incredibly frightening! Thank goodness you had the monitors – please take care and hopefully you will get some sleep tonight. I am going to check on our carbon monoxide monitors right now…

  3. Geneen says:

    OMG! I am so glad you and Carson are OK. We have CO monitors in our house, but they are battery powered. We’ve been meaning to go get some battery powered ones. Will be doing that tomorrow! Yowza.

    A big yay God that your monitors were working! Love ya!

  4. Geneen says:

    Oops, the above should say they are *NOT* battery powered, which is bad. We’ve got to get some that are. Glad to have the recommendation of the NightHawk.

  5. Angie Morton says:

    OMG Kerber! How scary. I’ve been meaning to get some for our house and have just been lazy. I will get them on the way home from work. Glad you and Carson are okay.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s