Below are Obama’s new rules for Lobbyists. I don’t have a problem with any of them but the 3rd bullet.
How ridiculous is it that although I have spent the better part of my career focusing on Homeland Security issues (before it was even called Homeland Security) I now cannot go serve in an Obama Administration on anything relating to Homeland Security. I could get a job at the Department of Agriculture or Health & Human Services, or even Veterans Affairs. All of which I know JACK about…yet I could work there. But I can’t work on any homeland security issues…that might be unethical.
It is kind of like telling your IT guy that if he wants to go work for the new Administration he needs to get a job in HR or Accounting. I am sure this policy will make all the difference in cleaning up Washington.
This is a perception-based solution to a perception based problem. It is founded on that idea that all lobbyists are crooked and can’t be trusted. Why doesn’t he do what the private sector does? Their policy tends to be: Hire the people you trust, trust the people you hire, and fire anyone who intentionally violates that trust.
Once again, our lovely government at work….Now, who wants to expand government services?
Obama Transition Announces Rules for Lobbyists in Transition
Washington, DC: During a briefing today at the Presidential Transition Team headquarters, Obama Transition Co-Chair John Podesta announced the strictest, and most far reaching ethics rules of any transition team in history. The rules are:
• Federal lobbyists cannot contribute financially to the transition.
• Federal lobbyists are prohibited from any lobbying during their work with the transition.
• If someone has lobbied in the last 12 months, they are prohibited from working in the fields of policy on which they lobbied.
• If someone becomes a lobbyist after working on the Transition, they are prohibited from lobbying the Administration for 12 months on matters on which they worked.
• A gift ban that is aggressive in reducing the influence of special interests.